Money doesn’t buy happiness, but it can certainly buy fancier items. If you’re into fancy things such as jacuzzis and BBQs but don’t have the funds, fear not! There are still some pretty interesting methods you can use to achieve all of these luxuries.
People have been inventing some pretty cool cheap versions of some of the more expensive things in our lives. From saving water and electricity to recreating a functional luxury, it’s hard to say which one of these is the most creative.
So if you’re pinching your pennies or living paycheck to paycheck but still want to appreciate the finer things in life, check out these 16 inventions created on a tight budget. Some of them look handy and useful, and then there are others that have me raising an eyebrow.
1. Missing some teeth? Try cutting out a slot in your toothbrush! You’ll be left with the perfect sized gap and will avoid scrubbing your gums.
2. Well, that’s one way to avoid a trip to the mechanic. I wonder how long this makeshift exhaust pipe will hold up? Did you notice the clotheshanger?
3. If you don’t have the funds to buy a pair of roller blades, just tape some Lego wheels to rubber boots and voila! Makeshift skates.
4 In case you want a little extra security on a small budget. Or perhaps this person’s lock is broken and they decided to do this to prevent people from breaking in.
5. Not exactly sure what’s going on here… But it kind of looks like this toilet tank and washing machine are connected to the same water source. Whatever works I suppose!
6. This appears to be a severely risky method of cooking. It looks like a pot is suspended with ropes above a flame in what appears to be a box.
7. If you want to make sure that absolutely no one touches your stew, you can invest in this fancy padlock. I guess this could work for a college student or someone with an annoying roomie.
8. Not sure what’s going on here either… I think it’s a makeshift cable plug? I wonder if this dangerous looking thing actually works.
9. Duct Tape can be used in practically any situation. Big old crack in the road? Just patch it up with a few strips of the gray sticky stuff!
10. Want to make sure no one will steal your phone? Like for sure? Slap on one of these padlock belts! It might add a little extra weight to your pants so make sure you buckle your belt tightly!
11. Problems with your stove top? No Problem. You can totally do your cooking on the bottom of an iron instead! This one is even wedged in the spot where the element is supposed to be. Can you say quick fix?
12. Need to mount your TV but don’t have a stand or a table? What about mounting it directly on the wall? Just cut out a hole and shove it in. Looks like this one has some concrete around it.
13. To be honest, this is actually a form of hot tubbing in some places in the world. To those of you used to bubbling Jacuzzis this probably looks more like being cooked alive.
14. Aha, another unconventional cooking method. This one is propped up on some beer bottles and has about 4 candles underneath. It might take a while but eventually you could cook something.
15. This is a pretty sneaky way to get hot water. It also looks pretty inconvenient. I wonder how long it takes to do dishes using this bad boy.
16 Last not least, you got your solar powered donkey. If you’re running low on electricity one of these guys could definitely come in handy. Poor thing though, all that equipment is probably so heavy.